BCSPL v Metro Soccer v DIV 1

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
I get that there can be all sorts of factors that contribute to why a team is or isn't being competitive. My point is more that you will find that imbalance in every division, its too consistent to be for other reasons. Clubs try to put teams in each division but clearly not every club has teams for each division in any particular age group, and then the clubs that put 3-4 in a division, these factors all water down the bottom end. What is the point of having a 16 team league if half the league is getting smoked by the top half? Good teams will need to play down a level , this will improve the overall level of each tier and its ok.
The other big point from my other post was PLAYERS move up and down NOT TEAMS. We really need to get passed this whole team thing , its awesome for recreational soccer but not for high performance, high performance needs to to be all about player development and at all its tiers....You lose 4 player to the higher tier awesome, get 4 more from the lower tier and develop them.The drive and motivation needs to be player driven not coach, club or parent. This is missing dearly at all levels, far too often us parents and coaches are more competitive than the kids playing.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
if entire teams are moving around that is a failing of the club itself.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
Rules update on the summer tournaments :
BCSPL players will have to play 1 year up and even playing up , only 3 BCSPL players allowed per team.
Example- A 15 BCSPL player will have to play at U16 .

Full Metro teams will have to play 1 year up as well - still not finalized .

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Rules update on the summer tournaments :
BCSPL players will have to play 1 year up and even playing up , only 3 BCSPL players allowed per team.
Example- A 15 BCSPL player will have to play at U16 .

Full Metro teams will have to play 1 year up as well - still not finalized .

lol who has the time, energy, or desire to check what BCSPL roster a kid players on when he is entering these tournaments!?

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Which tournaments are we talking about? Because its very hard to succeed on a protest in the ussa, even with proof, and thats speaking from personal experience. Thats why bringing in ringers is very common.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
Which tournaments are we talking about? Because its very hard to succeed on a protest in the ussa, even with proof, and thats speaking from personal experience. Thats why bringing in ringers is very common.
I know it happens, my neighbor plays BCSPL and is brought in as a ringer, and the other teams just know,.,
Still this whole concept of bringing in a ringer to win a Indo-Canadian weekend summer tournament makes me laugh.What exactly is the point? to have bragging rights until the next tournament when someone else brings in their ringers? And how exactly does that mentality foster player development? Even more amazing is these teams still fill rosters despite player being sat for said ringers who only play in a few tournaments....

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I play my year around team. My roster doesnt change. It makes me laugh. These coaches want to win so bad. I have seen players who are regulars on a team sit for 90 percent of a game just so they can beat us. I coached in bc tigers and cant even count the number of times their teams borrow players between teams just to win. And then the kids all know each other so they give each other a hard time and act like their team earned it.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
The summer indo canadian tournaments

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
I know it happens, my neighbor plays BCSPL and is brought in as a ringer, and the other teams just know,.,
Still this whole concept of bringing in a ringer to win a Indo-Canadian weekend summer tournament makes me laugh.What exactly is the point? to have bragging rights until the next tournament when someone else brings in their ringers? And how exactly does that mentality foster player development? Even more amazing is these teams still fill rosters despite player being sat for said ringers who only play in a few tournaments....

This is the reason for bringing in new rules for this season :

No BCSPL players in their own age group and only 3 can play a year up - this will stop coach,s stacking teams with higher level players & also allow the teams regular players to get their deserved game time .

Full Metro teams will most likely also need to play a year up and will not be allowed any BCSPL players.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I dont think it will stop anything. Sadly there is no integrity in the ussa.

It's still a good place (competitive) for the kids to play regardless of the bad apples.

Since i coach in these tournaments i am hoping they are more thorough with regards to implementing these new rules.

WTF

Sep 3, 2015
I dont think it will stop anything. Sadly there is no integrity in the ussa.

It's still a good place (competitive) for the kids to play regardless of the bad apples.

Since i coach in these tournaments i am hoping they are more thorough with regards to implementing these new rules.

Its totally wrong to bring in ringers to win tournaments and rules should be enforced

Jaguar

Mar 8, 2016
The sad thing is that once players are out of the system, they are out of the system.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
The sad thing is that once players are out of the system, they are out of the system.

Can you explain this? Maybe in my neck of the woods it is different, but kids here seem to get a pretty fair shake if they ask for it.

WTF

Sep 3, 2015
Paying $2000 + and not getting enough game time has caused problems amongst some BCPL teams especially where they have rosters of 18 -20 players and many players have quit due to a lack of playing time.
Not sure but reports that 3-4 players have quit the boys SU U17 BCPL team after just 1 game of the season due to a lack of playing time or whatever . This team won the Nationals in Oct 2015.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Paying $2k (more actually over a season) and not playing "enough" (that definition will be a bit different for everyone) would be a major problem. I agree, if I had a kiddo and I was paying that much and my kid felt he/she wasn't playing enough I'd move the kid down to MSL (or div 1) as well. Pay less, play more. Because if a kid isn't playing "a lot" on BCSPL they aren't a "top" player in that league, thus not going to get any scholarship offers, let alone pro trials offers. They can arrange their own university/college/pro trials on their own while playing MSL, D1....

This is why BCSPL must reduce it's registration costs. How many good players are avoiding the league because they know they are good enough to get a lot of playing time. What this would mean is the top players are not being challenged as they should be at training, which means they aren't improving as they should be, which means the games aren't as challenging as they should be, which means the league isn't achieving its developmental goals.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
Paying $2k (more actually over a season) and not playing "enough" (that definition will be a bit different for everyone) would be a major problem. I agree, if I had a kiddo and I was paying that much and my kid felt he/she wasn't playing enough I'd move the kid down to MSL (or div 1) as well. Pay less, play more. Because if a kid isn't playing "a lot" on BCSPL they aren't a "top" player in that league, thus not going to get any scholarship offers, let alone pro trials offers. They can arrange their own university/college/pro trials on their own while playing MSL, D1....

This is why BCSPL must reduce it's registration costs. How many good players are avoiding the league because they know they are good enough to get a lot of playing time. What this would mean is the top players are not being challenged as they should be at training, which means they aren't improving as they should be, which means the games aren't as challenging as they should be, which means the league isn't achieving its developmental goals.
I will challenge this, my neighbors kid was getting half a game or less thorough the intake year and into the start of the U13 year. As an attacking player there tends to be lots of competition for few spots. His dad considered pulling him for the reason you sighted, however stuck with it. Since 2 of the top attacking players have been picked up by Whitecaps pre residency and now this kid is the key player for the team playing time now more than 70%. Sometimes it pays to stick with it, key in this example was the kid didnt want to go down a level. So if the kids not having fun then yes move him other let the player figure it out....

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
I will challenge this, my neighbors kid was getting half a game or less thorough the intake year and into the start of the U13 year. As an attacking player there tends to be lots of competition for few spots. His dad considered pulling him for the reason you sighted, however stuck with it. Since 2 of the top attacking players have been picked up by Whitecaps pre residency and now this kid is the key player for the team playing time now more than 70%. Sometimes it pays to stick with it, key in this example was the kid didnt want to go down a level. So if the kids not having fun then yes move him other let the player figure it out....

I said if "my kid felt he/she" isn't getting enough time. If the kid is happy, I am happy. But to counter you, who is to say that the kid wouldn't have been picked-up and made a key attacking player after those two kids left for Whitecaps anyway? In the meantime would have had very meaningful playing time at a good level (presumably metro).

Also, my remark was not taking into account kids who were ahead of them leaving the program. Kids will come and go quite regularly from u13-15, but by u16 rosters are set relatively speaking.

My point is, if costs were lowered this would be less of an issue for many people, and as a result more of the talented kids would join the league.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
I said if "my kid felt he/she" isn't getting enough time. If the kid is happy, I am happy. But to counter you, who is to say that the kid wouldn't have been picked-up and made a key attacking player after those two kids left for Whitecaps anyway? In the meantime would have had very meaningful playing time at a good level (presumably metro).

Also, my remark was not taking into account kids who were ahead of them leaving the program. Kids will come and go quite regularly from u13-15, but by u16 rosters are set relatively speaking.

My point is, if costs were lowered this would be less of an issue for many people, and as a result more of the talented kids would join the league.
Then we agree, key is what the player wants. WE also agree the cost is prohibitive even for modern income earners who wouldn't qualify for jump start or the like...even Metro is steep compared to div 1...

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Then we agree, key is what the player wants. WE also agree the cost is prohibitive even for modern income earners who wouldn't qualify for jump start or the like...even Metro is steep compared to div 1...

Absolutely. I think most people would agree with us.

I don't know in what ways BCSPL can reduce costs because I don't know the cost breakdowns. But, I can certainly make a couple without knowing the breakdowns of cost. Things like field costs, ref costs, insurance are non-negotiable. But,
1) do they need to rent a bus for the long trips? No. If not every parent can attend the game, kids can carpool.
2) Do they really need full away kits, training kits and home kits? Use the same shorts and socks for home and away games. Swap shirts when necessary if the kit colours are the same as oppo (but in an 8 team league you can probably arrange the teams to use 8 different colours). Training kits "professionalize" things but is it necessary? For large portions of the season the kids are wearing their training pants/jacket anyway. (and yes, I certainly have organized my teams to arrange for training kits and the kids like wearing them - but they aren't necessary).
These are not massive expenses that will all of a sudden make the league more affordable. But it's a start.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Im not made of money, and I understand that some people are in need of assistance, but I have found that when people pay they respect the experience more. Not that there isnt a place for helping out a kid with boots or partial cost but I can't even count the times I have come accross subsidized kids who miss practices and games. I think paying leads to more respect and dedication from the players and parents.

Back