Sunny Surrey: Pacific United Suspended

Shawn Gill

May 27, 2016
Shawn, I get that you are passionate, and even upset at what is happening at PUFC, but you are not doing any favors by coming on here and throwing out these statements.

We have no idea what "level" anyone is on because there is no real information out there as to what is actually happening. Unless you are on the inside of the squabble. So far it is only rumors.

I will throw this out there though, from my years on the field in Newton, there is not one club that acts any differently from the others around here. They all come from the same place. Remember PUFC is a club with one year on the records. They are built up of people from the other Newton Clubs.

Anyway, Hope it all works out for the kids in the end.

Please don't take it personal I was trying to get the word out there to the parents like me who were approached at practice fields by these people. My apologies if it hurt anyone's feelings.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
My feelings are not hurt at all. Just a little advice. Thankfully I'm not involved in this matter other than discussion on this forum.

When you say BCS approached you, are you saying that BC Soccer has approached you to ask you opinion? Gathering information? Or to accuse you and other PUFC members of something?

Or that other parties, such as CCB and/or BC Tigers are harassing your members? If that's the case, then certainly all interactions should be logged, and even recorded if possible. There is no reason at all for any members of other clubs to be on or around your time unless welcomed to do so on a friendly basis. It certainly can't lead to anything good. That's what the district meetings are for.

Shawn Gill

May 27, 2016
My feelings are not hurt at all. Just a little advice. Thankfully I'm not involved in this matter other than discussion on this forum.

When you say BCS approached you, are you saying that BC Soccer has approached you to ask you opinion? Gathering information? Or to accuse you and other PUFC members of something?

Or that other parties, such as CCB and/or BC

Yes my friend I was not referring to BCS in my post I wrote who are along with them who are doing it in NAP.

Legend

Dec 11, 2015
After reading all this nonsense (politics), it just proves going private and receiving professional training and games from one establishment that you decide on is by far the best option.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
You know, I was thinking about that as well. Especially early on. Micro age is the time to learn important skills. There just isnt enough experienced coaches at this age. I brought this up, seeing disorganized practices with long line up drills and zero footwork.

"These are parent volunteers, we cant ensure the level of experience these coaches have".

The clubs that profess following ltpd, do not. Especially rotating all posititions and giving equal time. Winning is the priority.

But private is also a commitment on paying a large sum and possibly driving far out of your neighborhood.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
After reading all this nonsense (politics), it just proves going private and receiving professional training and games from one establishment that you decide on is by far the best option.

Yes, if that academy will give your child the best experience possible all things considered. Yes.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
The grass is always greener on the other side until your on the other side. One can argue that while private academies may offer what appears to be higher quality coaching ,at the end of the day greed rules them as well.... if its not wins, its money...
The community of Newton is unique, its a divided community beyond soccer many different religions and cultures at play which leads to distrust. Potential is there but until they buy into the bigger picture of LTPD it wont change.. that can be said for a lot people as well. Unfortunately there are always groups who feel hard done by, and always predators waiting to scope them up with bigger promises.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
The grass is always greener on the other side until your on the other side. One can argue that while private academies may offer what appears to be higher quality coaching ,at the end of the day greed rules them as well.... if its not wins, its money...
The community of Newton is unique, its a divided community beyond soccer many different religions and cultures at play which leads to distrust. Potential is there but until they buy into the bigger picture of LTPD it wont change.. that can be said for a lot people as well. Unfortunately there are always groups who feel hard done by, and always predators waiting to scope them up with bigger promises.

4 the kids - I agree with most of your comments in your post but not about the line i highlighted in red.
Even though majority of players in Newton belong to the Punjabi community but all players ,coach,s & parents are not divided by culture or religion - its more about ego , power & forming a new club if they don,t get their way at one of the other clubs.
Many people lack knowledge & passion for the game of Football but are great when it comes to politics & power.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
4 the kids - I agree with most of your comments in your post but not about the line i highlighted in red.
Even though majority of players in Newton belong to the Punjabi community but all players ,coach,s & parents are not divided by culture or religion - its more about ego , power & forming a new club if they don,t get their way at one of the other clubs.
Many people lack knowledge & passion for the game of Football but are great when it comes to politics & power.
I understand , I was more referring to the fact that there tends to be alliance among those that stem back to the summer soccer. Correct me if I am wrong but i believe the summer soccer roots go back to various temples thus the alliances... all the power struggles seem to come back to the summer soccer groups...

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
We are so lucky that we have a great summer program in Surrey - leage for kids upto U12 & Tournaments for U13 to Adults .
Majority of the players in the Newton area play all year round and for many soccer is their only sport. Cost is very low around $150 - $200 to play from April til Aug in beautiful weather conditions.
Everything has been going so well but a few people have spoiled things. The individuals or clubs who played a part in the ban on innocent CCB players last year and now innocent PUFC players should be banned from Soccer for a long time as they are not in this sport for the kids.:mad:

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Things are starting to change. More clubs are becoming year round clubs. From what I hear player movement will be enforced to 3 players so full teams cant be moved. It wont stop poaching but it should help with a lot of the infighting

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Things are starting to change. More clubs are becoming year round clubs. From what I hear player movement will be enforced to 3 players so full teams cant be moved. It wont stop poaching but it should help with a lot of the infighting

Unless they go the route of Victoria (LISA) there is no way whatsoever to stop player movement on a mass scale. Open boundaries within SMSA means a kid can choose to sign for any club they want within their district. From what I hear/read going the route of LISA's closed boundaries would be a huge mistake.

Despite the issues in Surrey, having competition amongst the clubs to provide good programming is excellent for the players. what the clubs need to do (well, BCSA and district 5 maybe more so than the clubs) is educate parents on what "good programming" actually is.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
Unless they go the route of Victoria (LISA) there is no way whatsoever to stop player movement on a mass scale. Open boundaries within SMSA means a kid can choose to sign for any club they want within their district. From what I hear/read going the route of LISA's closed boundaries would be a huge mistake.

Despite the issues in Surrey, having competition amongst the clubs to provide good programming is excellent for the players. what the clubs need to do (well, BCSA and district 5 maybe more so than the clubs) is educate parents on what "good programming" actually is.
Agreed regarding players moving its their choice to play with any club they choose within their district. The district though can make it tougher for entire teams including coaches from shopping around looking for a better offer. As a single player if you switch clubs and didnt go to evals you might be forced to play house for a year , such is the cost /risk of moving, yet entire teams move over and circumvent the whole process , this is what needs to stop.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Closed boundaries ould also be exceptionally difficult in Newton specifically to create boundaries. How do you determine if CCB or SFC, PUFC, or anyone else gets a certain block or street? Can't happen unless each club had their own home pitch I figure...

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Agreed regarding players moving its their choice to play with any club they choose within their district. The district though can make it tougher for entire teams including coaches from shopping around looking for a better offer. As a single player if you switch clubs and didnt go to evals you might be forced to play house for a year , such is the cost /risk of moving, yet entire teams move over and circumvent the whole process , this is what needs to stop.

Do most Surrey clubs have evals? I've heard from quite some time many don't.

Also, this isn't school soccer. I can't see it being allowed from a human rights perspective to force a metro level kid to play house if they switch clubs. What if they had a major bullying issue? What if their coach did bad-thing-X or Y? What if another club has a coach the kid used to know and love and wants to go play for that coach again?

Surrey is in an almost impossible situation. BCSA can't really stop clubs from forming. Anyone can form an NFP. What BCSA can do however is give club management, coach standard etc requirements which essentially would force the clubs into tiers. Club A provides BCSPL (and thus can also provide MSL), Club B and C qualify for MSL, Club D etc qualify for Division soccer until such time as they can prove they have a better product than Club B and C.....Club B and C can some day apply to enter BCSPL.....etc etc etc.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
No one is saying a kid will be forced to do anything, what they are saying is that if you decide to switch clubs and the team is full, you may need to wait until next evals to get a spot, which is completely fair. If you are a world beater, your chance may come a lot sooner.

As for Evals, from my experience, the Newton clubs historically eval for D1 or higher. Guildford they want all kids out. Not sure about SUS.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
No one is saying a kid will be forced to do anything, what they are saying is that if you decide to switch clubs and the team is full, you may need to wait until next evals to get a spot, which is completely fair. If you are a world beater, your chance may come a lot sooner.

As for Evals, from my experience, the Newton clubs historically eval for D1 or higher. Guildford they want all kids out. Not sure about SUS.

I understand. Of course if a kid wants to transfer after trials are done they should know before they leave their current team if the team they want to join even has room. If the team they want to join doesn't have room and they've already left their previous team then a natural consequence is they play for any other team that has room, and that may be at a lower level.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Of course we all know very well that in many instances those players, or parents will shop around first or will be approached.

Is it common for a player to quit a high level team with no back up plan?

Back