Question for parents with micro age players.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
What would you rather:

A) A coach who is friendly, the kids have a good time, but they don't really learn anything technical. Just laid back practices. Your child has lot's of friends. Over a year no real progress was made.

B) A coach that teaches the all of basic skills, but is not laid back. Maybe even loud. Soccer is the priority. Pushes the kids to be better, repeat drills until they are correct. Your kid can make new friends.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
You missed one point which would be the clincher for me: Is my kid enjoying it and having fun? If he is enjoying the loud coach, and learning technique, then B. If my kid would not enjoy that, then A). That's going back to when my son was U6/U7. He hasn't played since then...he'd be U13 now. Sigh.

His coach at U7 was a combo. Loud without teaching them anything. :mad:

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
My daughter had both.

I coached her from u5 to u6. We did a lot of skills. I was fun and loud. Lol

In u7 I thought I would put her with someone else to see if they could get more out of her. It was very laid back, but she made lots of friends. You could say her skill declined.

Her team didnt play spring so I put her on another team. Again, very laid back. Now she doesnt even run. Lol

Tried her out for pds. Offered a streaming role. Coach is very strict. Loud. Practices are on point. I can see her getting much better. I asked her if she liked it, and she said yes.

Ran into her coach from last year. The fun, laid back one. Her daughter comes running up, hugs mine. She has a spot for her. Friends. House level.

At what point do I not micromanage and let it be. Lol

rich

Aug 20, 2015
Kids are so different. Mine quit because team sports just aren't his thing. He does swimming and rock climbing. Kicks the ball around with his buddies at school, but isn't interested in being on team.

As long as they're having fun. Girls especially quit for 3 reasons - friends don't play anymore, not learning anything, not having fun.

Kids have different things that drive them...as long as the parents and kids have the same goal, everyone is happy and the kid plays for years. It's when parents and kids have different ideas that the fun goes away.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
What would you rather:

A) A coach who is friendly, the kids have a good time, but they don't really learn anything technical. Just laid back practices. Your child has lot's of friends. Over a year no real progress was made.

B) A coach that teaches the all of basic skills, but is not laid back. Maybe even loud. Soccer is the priority. Pushes the kids to be better, repeat drills until they are correct. Your kid can make new friends.

A mixture of the 2.

if I had to choose I'd choose B but you have to be prepared for your kid not to like it and want to quit. The kids have to learn - I am working with some select kids age 10-11 and the gaps in their learning before this year are all-too-evident.

Back