More Winter Clubs in Surrey ??

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
I will throw a prediction out there. Surrey will have 7 clubs by the 2020-2021 youth season. Currently 5. Someone will realize Cloverdale is a big market... ;)

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
5 now?

SU
Coastal
SGU
Guildford AC
SFC Pegasus
CCB
Pacific United
SurDel

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
5 now?

SU
Coastal
SGU
Guildford AC
SFC Pegasus
CCB
Pacific United
SurDel

SU, GAC, CCB, SFC and PU are the 5 Surrey Clubs, Coastal plays out of Delta District. SGU is Metro only and SurDel is girls only and runs out of Delta.

I get what you are saying though you could also add all the summer clubs as well....

I could one day see another 1 to 2 clubs as SU and Coastal are both getting very large... that said some of the smaller clubs like GAC and PU have room to grow... I can also see PU folding in a few years if they don't grow.

I remember hearing that PU was originally suppose to be made up of teams from Coastal and CCB that were unhappy and looking for new direction, if true PU missed the opportunity to tap into Coastal's base and instead focused on Newton.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
5 now?

SU
Coastal
SGU
Guildford AC
SFC Pegasus
CCB
Pacific United
SurDel

Coastal is in White Rock. SurDel is in Delta

SGU is a partnership with Surrey United-Guildford (or it used to be - has it been taken over by different management and have their own BoD?) so that's not a "separate club." So 5 clubs then currently.

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
We are splitting hairs here but Coastal FC is located in Surrey. The city of White Rock doesn't have a single soccer pitch that I am aware of :)

I don't agree with any sort of notion of "splitting up" SU or Coastal due to their growing size - these 2 clubs seem to have their acts together and it would be in the best interest of the community to have more players under their umbrellas. With bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, I think in this case it does.

Encourage those who are doing things the right way.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
We are splitting hairs here but Coastal FC is located in Surrey. The city of White Rock doesn't have a single soccer pitch that I am aware of :)

I don't agree with any sort of notion of "splitting up" SU or Coastal due to their growing size - these 2 clubs seem to have their acts together and it would be in the best interest of the community to have more players under their umbrellas. With bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, I think in this case it does.

I agree these two clubs of the best around , my point was more as these clubs grow I could see a split happening, can't keep everyone happy and someone will eventually someone will try an offer an alternative.

and just cause...Coastal is what use to be Peace Arch , South Fraser and Semiahmoo, (or White Rock and South Surrey).Oh and White Rock has two soccer fields that I could find, Centennial and Peace Arch Elementary...:)

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
SU, GAC, CCB, SFC and PU are the 5 Surrey Clubs, Coastal plays out of Delta District. SGU is Metro only and SurDel is girls only and runs out of Delta.

I get what you are saying though you could also add all the summer clubs as well....

I could one day see another 1 to 2 clubs as SU and Coastal are both getting very large... that said some of the smaller clubs like GAC and PU have room to grow... I can also see PU folding in a few years if they don't grow.

I remember hearing that PU was originally suppose to be made up of teams from Coastal and CCB that were unhappy and looking for new direction, if true PU missed the opportunity to tap into Coastal's base and instead focused on Newton.

It would have been hard in the coastal instance as those players are in a different district.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015

South Surrey Athletic Park - isn't that below the district line putting it in White Rock's boundaries? (obviously not - you guys would likely know better than me!) Anyway, Coastal FC is in the Delta district so it isn't part of "Surrey" ;)

I don't think anyone wants or encourages SU/Coastal to be broken up - they both seem to be doing a great job. I am just saying.... I expect the City of Surrey to have even more clubs!

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
White rock is below or south of 16th. North of that is technicaly south surrey. They have a post office box in white rock though.

They must have a catchment area that includes some area above 16th otherwise I have no idea how they could have so many players.

Oh and they do have school fields in white rock as we played in some over the fall season.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
White rock is below or south of 16th. North of that is technicaly south surrey. They have a post office box in white rock though.

They must have a catchment area that includes some area above 16th otherwise I have no idea how they could have so many players.

Oh and they do have school fields in white rock as we played in some over the fall season.

Coastal hit 4000 this year their catchment is Delta district which includes ( underline would be 'coastal FC area which actually includes White Rock) from DYSA constitution:
the Municipality of Delta, that area of Surrey bounded by 40th Avenue on the north, 196th Street on the east, the 49th parallel to the south and Pacific Ocean on the west, also that part of Surrey bounded by 96th Avenue on the south, 120th Street on the east and River Road on the north and west.

Last edited:

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
4000? That makes CCB look small in comparison.

At its peak CCB was just over 3000. Surrey United is 3000+ I believe. Both Coastal and Surrey United have seen growth over the past few years, one reason is the introduction of U4 and U5 and expanded Adult offerings but i think the main reason is well organized clubs that draw people to them compared to other options on the area.

For comparison: Vancouver United is around 3800, Coquitlam Metro Ford is 3500+

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
What this tells me is that Im living in a fish bowl.
GAC has 1200-1500 , there are advantages to the smaller club as well as disadvantages. One such disadvantage is the ability to field teams in each division for ever age group, which puts a bump in the development pathway, big jump from house to Div 2 or Div 3 to Div 1 as an example..

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Coastal hit 4000 this year their catchment is Delta district which includes ( underline would be 'coastal FC area which actually includes White Rock) from DYSA constitution:
the Municipality of Delta, that area of Surrey bounded by 40th Avenue on the north, 196th Street on the east, the 49th parallel to the south and Pacific Ocean on the west, also that part of Surrey bounded by 96th Avenue on the south, 120th Street on the east and River Road on the north and west.

4000 includes White Rock, Delta, Ladner and TSA I assume? Makes sense. Fraser Valley FC and Fraser Valley Premier probably have a similar catchment size when you include the numbers from the entire district. And it does make sense to look at it that way because for Coastal FC teams to sign players from Delta, Ladner, TSA is not "out of district". Same with Fraser Valley signing players from Langley to Chilliwack.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
At its peak CCB was just over 3000. Surrey United is 3000+ I believe. Both Coastal and Surrey United have seen growth over the past few years, one reason is the introduction of U4 and U5 and expanded Adult offerings but i think the main reason is well organized clubs that draw people to them compared to other options on the area.

Exactly. Well run programs, win or lose, draw parents (and their kids!).

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
4000 includes White Rock, Delta, Ladner and TSA I assume? Makes sense. Fraser Valley FC and Fraser Valley Premier probably have a similar catchment size when you include the numbers from the entire district. And it does make sense to look at it that way because for Coastal FC teams to sign players from Delta, Ladner, TSA is not "out of district". Same with Fraser Valley signing players from Langley to Chilliwack.

4000 is the size of the catchment or the size of Coastal FC?

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
4000 is Coastal FC membership which does not include Ladner, TSA or North Delta membership but yes they could sign players from those clubs . That area of south Surrey especially around Morgan Creek and area has had huge population growth , and mainly young families, plus the fact they can draw kids from those other areas within the Delta District..
If you added up all the numbers from the 5 Surrey Clubs in SMSA you probably hit close to 10,000.
If you looked at SU partner clubs for BCSPL they are drawing from 6000+
Regardless its seems that 3500-4000 is a good size for a club to run top quality programming. Some smaller clubs have good programs just lack the numbers to offer the full slate,.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015

The growth of SU & Coastal is due to their organization and loyalty of parents /players to those clubs. Having the BCSPL franchises attracts many extra players as well.

The huge housing development on the Cloverdale/Langley borders has also helped SU numbers grow and Langley UTD numbers will grow significantly as well

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
I thought PUFC had already changed its name to BCT.
The split in the biggest club BC Tigers caused all this merry go round - Van Utd merged into BC Tigers a few yrs ago & 2 yrs ago left BC tigers to set up their own club again.
PUFC split away and formed their own club just over a year ago and apparently BC tigers tried to take them over but word is the takeover didn,t go thru but BC Tigers have installed their own board . Their coach,s are also claiming to have Metro spots for the next fall season.
PUFC are the rightful owners of their club and no club should be able to take it over if PUFC don,t agree .
BC Soccer cannot and should not allow this to happen :oops:

Back