More Winter Clubs in Surrey ??

Mar 23, 2016
SoccerMom, The Soccer community in Newton/Surrey should realize the harm thats being done to the innocent young players .
Its getting worse in Surrey now - new clubs being created , player poaching , referees not submitting reports etc, clubs splitting apart etc. The split in the biggest club BC Tigers caused all this merry go round - Van Utd merged into BC Tigers a few yrs ago & 2 yrs ago left BC tigers to set up their own club again.
PUFC split away and formed their own club just over a year ago and now they are merging into the BC tigers again or being taken over. The soccer community in Newton cannot get on with each other for long - if they don,t agree with minor things they will just go and set up a new club whether they know how to run a club or not and amongst all these problems/movements the young players development suffers .
Anyone hearing any rumours regarding the name change. Did it go through?

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Name change was passed at the AGM. My guess is it wont be official with bcsoccer for a bit yet as they are still working under the pufc name.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
Anyone hearing any rumours regarding the name change. Did it go through?
Name change was passed at the AGM. My guess is it wont be official with bcsoccer for a bit yet as they are still working under the pufc name.

There,s nothing on the BC Tigers or PUFC website confirming a take over by the BC Tigers and the word is the take over didn,t succeed.
PUFC have many technical guys/good coach,s who want to develop players and eventually their approach will help them to run their own club successfully

Mar 23, 2016
There,s nothing on the BC Tigers or PUFC website confirming a take over by the BC Tigers and the word is the take over didn,t succeed.
PUFC have many technical guys/good coach,s who want to develop players and eventually their approach will help them to run their own club successfully
I have heard that there are now two board of directors at PUFC. Apparently at the disputed SGM a new board of directors was elected. Even the districts contrary to last year keeping it very quiet

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
I have heard that there are now two board of directors at PUFC. Apparently at the disputed SGM a new board of directors was elected. Even the districts contrary to last year keeping it very quiet

You quite literally can't have two board of directors - although a new board may have been voted in effective on XX MONTH, 2016. Rumours don't help anyone. But if this what you are saying is true (and you have proof), I suggest that you forward your email to the Society Act of BC folks and copy BCSA on that email.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
You quite literally can't have two board of directors - although a new board may have been voted in effective on XX MONTH, 2016. Rumours don't help anyone. But if this what you are saying is true (and you have proof), I suggest that you forward your email to the Society Act of BC folks and copy BCSA on that email.

Last year bct complained that there were directors who served on the board of ccb and canadian eagles. At some point a ruling was made that stated this would not be allowed.

In order for bct to run this club they have paper directors and then people who advise them. Thus a 2nd board, but not truly legitimate in any sense.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Last year bct complained that there were directors who served on the board of ccb and canadian eagles. At some point a ruling was made that stated this would not be allowed.

In order for bct to run this club they have paper directors and then people who advise them. Thus a 2nd board, but not truly legitimate in any sense.

OH one board for the winter club and one for the summer club. OK well that makes sense if in fact they are simply two clubs that have an arrangement/agreement. But if it is one club that now provides both winter and summer you can only have one board (or if it was one club previously but used two names for whatever reason)

WTF

Sep 3, 2015
Why is SMSA so quite now compared to last year when they were quick to suspend CCB and all the innocent young kids.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Why is SMSA so quite now compared to last year when they were quick to suspend CCB and all the innocent young kids.

We do not know what is happening at SMSA at all. All parties actually went quiet near the end of the ccb issues last year. I'm sure lessons were learned in that regard. And if there are people in PUFC that are unhappy then I wouldnt be surprised if there is a complaint or protest in place at this time.

Im personally not a fan of the constant movement of summer clubs within fall clubs. This garbage is becoming too much. IT's really making us (surrey residents) look bad.

Now, if the makeup of the PUFC club is mostly BC Tigers and were from the inception last year, then I would hardly put it in the context of a takeover. Especially if all actions are done within the bylaws, etc.

PUFC should have noticed what was happening with BCT/CCB and put measures in place to prevent this from happening, however at the same time I dont think they would have had any real numbers, funds, fields, or even a boys division without the BCT support in the first place.

Mar 23, 2016
We do not know what is happening at SMSA at all. All parties actually went quiet near the end of the ccb issues last year. I'm sure lessons were learned in that regard. And if there are people in PUFC that are unhappy then I wouldnt be surprised if there is a complaint or protest in place at this time.

Im personally not a fan of the constant movement of summer clubs within fall clubs. This garbage is becoming too much. IT's really making us (surrey residents) look bad.

Now, if the makeup of the PUFC club is mostly BC Tigers and were from the inception last year, then I would hardly put it in the context of a takeover. Especially if all actions are done within the bylaws, etc.

PUFC should have noticed what was happening with BCT/CCB and put measures in place to prevent this from happening, however at the same time I dont think they would have had any real numbers, funds, fields, or even a boys division without the BCT support in the first place.

Hopefully ppl who were getting all the inside info last year during the issues with CCB can provide more information in regards with the current issues. Apparently there was some on field screaming and yelling between the two groups on Monday at NAP. It's sad as kids suffer through this.

WTF

Sep 3, 2015
Hopefully ppl who were getting all the inside info last year during the issues with CCB can provide more information in regards with the current issues. Apparently there was some on field screaming and yelling between the two groups on Monday at NAP. It's sad as kids suffer through this.
Was the screaming between BC Tigers and PUFC or Surrey Youth ?

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
I am growing tired of this stuff, adult politics destroying youth development. Issue exist at every club and district but nothing like what has been going on between a few groups in the Newton area. Honestly i am surprised their hasn't been fights or even bloodshed among these groups. We now have for groups two of which have been in the spotlight and summer soccer seems to be at the root of it. Here is a very brief summary of the events.
We have the CCB group, going back 4 or 5 years I think was Whalley Soccer Club who merged with the girls soccer Breakers and became Central City Breakers, this group then attempted a half merger with Surrey Youth FC mainly with the joint goal of winning a HPL franchise, this merger was to be the mini program and academy programs, the merger failed and almost ended Surrey Youth FC and saw CCB take over the Newton club house and 50-75% of the mini registration. That summer CCB aligned with the BC Tigers group, CCB board members became BC Tiger board members and BC Tigers board members got on the CCB board, this saw CCB registration grow to close to 3000 it also significantly grew BC Tigers numbers. Two summers ago there was a fall out between the BC Tigers group and CCB group over many issues including player development which saw BC Tigers group leave CCB board that spring the BC tigers group successfully won control of SMSA or at least the president. The BC Tigers group then made the allegations against the CCB group that we all saw play out last summer. In the mean time the group running academies for BC Tigers ( Pro Touch Academy) are some of the people behind Pacific United ( who are not on the board). This group tried to run the technical program for CCB but there was a fall out there as well. anyways so there is a connection between BC Tigers and Pacific United, most of BC Tigers ended up with Surrey Youth last fall, fortunately Surrey Youth appears to be strong enough that they haven't lost control to the BC Tigers group, who by the sounds of it is now trying to take over Pacific United.
To answer why SMSA has been silent, I can only assume because their president is among the problem.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I remember sitting in the ccb coaches meeting when Bassi was introduced as the new technical director. Regardless of his accomplishments on the field he was not yet ready to be in that position.
He spoke like a teenager, using the word like, a lot, and was generally not that open. Around Newton it was a running joke and it was only a matter of time that he (pro touch) was not in that position any longer.

I remember him coming to one of my u6 practices and telling all micro coaches that we were only to practice passing. Nothing else.

SoccerMom

Jan 27, 2016
I think making a teenager with no certification your clubs Technical Director speaks more about CCB's Leadership and Management then it does about a young teenager.

Wonder if the same decision makers are still at CCB or have moved on with the Tiger group.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
I think making a teenager with no certification your clubs Technical Director speaks more about CCB's Leadership and Management then it does about a young teenager.

Wonder if the same decision makers are still at CCB or have moved on with the Tiger group.

A bit of both I believe as the BC Tigers group used Pro touch Academy as its academy. Bassi was like 21
I believe so not a teenager, just a kid from the community that had some success, was on Whitecaps and U21 National team at one time as i understand it. The meeting when he was announced as the CCB new technical director was actually a BC Tigers meeting which speaks to the confusion and lack of separation of the two clubs at the time.
The current group at CCB supported the letting go of Chris Cerroni which was the biggest mistake they could have made...not sure if they supported Derrick or not... I suspect not so much...

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
From what I was told at the time Bassi was a reletive of the ccb executive director.

Mar 23, 2016
From what I was told at the time Bassi was a reletive of the ccb executive director.
I think he is related to one of the main guys at BC Tigers.

Easoccer you seem to know lots of what has happened at Newton or is happening. Why not shed some light at the latest takeover attempt by a non affiliated club. You must have read those Facebook posts that were later deleted

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Im not on, nor do I monitor facebook so I havent seen that.

My position on PUFC is that they wanted to expand fast. They wanted to make an impact on the first season of play. In order to do that, they had to get into bed so to speak, with the Summer club at the heart of the CCB issues last year. BCT is not stupid. They put just enough players into PUFC so that they could win a vote if they lost the fight for CCB. Unfortunately they are in a position to take over the club via a vote. Maybe morally wrong, but most likely within the rules and will probably end up in BCT's favor. Majority rules.

Every year there are take over attempts. Club AGM's, District AGM's, you name it. I have gone and I have seen it all.

Practically everyone in Newton operates the same way. For themselves. If they dont get what they want to go on offence. From the coaches all the way up to the people in charge of the clubs.

If a club denies a coaches request, and if someone from another club can offer the coach what he wants, then he goes. Valid or not, If a group of people or parents want to remove a coach they band together and remove the coach. If a group of coaches dont get along with club executive, they can get together and influence the vote at the next AGM.

The district needs to set rules on the amount of players from the previous season that can move to a new fall club. This would help eliminate the constant changes.

There also needs to be rules in place to block the voting of new members on the issue of club executives until maybe year 2 or 3 in a club.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
What I read into this is the importance of the Club Charter. Year 1 is about administrative aspects, which is an excellent start. But I believe year 2 or 3 has to put in that clubs require a certified Technical director. There has been talk for a while about there actually needing to be a Technical Director course along the lines of CSA "A". What I hope the charter says is that every club who has a TD has to prove that TD has the right qualifications. If a club has a TD without the qualifications hopefully this means they can't participate in certain leagues. And further clubs that don't have a TD at all can't participate in certain leagues (lower level than clubs that do). If a TD is fired, or quits, then of course you give the club time to replace that TD (no clue what's an appropriate amount of time - but there are plenty of people who want to work in BC!).

But charters are only as good as their enforcement.

Back