Floro Gone

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
CSA has just announced Benito Floro's contract option is not being exercised and the search is on for a new MNT head coach.

Did some good things during his tenure but obviously not enough - some bizarre tactics and personnel decisions certainly didn't help.

Who do you think will become our next gaffer?

rich

Aug 20, 2015
As you said, I believe he did some good things, introduced some new blood..got Arfield and Hoilett to commit to Canada.

However, the tactical set up some games (Mexico at home, El Salvador away) were baffling, and I don't know where to begin with some of the personnel decisions - especially the last game in Vancouver. Baffling, to say the least.

I'd like to see someone like Nick Dasovic get a shot at it.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Agreed, he did some good! But his tactical and selection choices (and defending set pieces) raises a lot of eyebrows!

I am not sure who the next manager should be. Some are calling for Canadians to, presumably, bring back some "Canadian grit and identity"? I am not sure. I think a Central/North American latino is the way to go.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
The defending of set pieces was possibly the most baffling tactically. Anyway.

I do believe that the Canadian team needs an identity - right now no one knows what type of team we have. I don't know if the next gaffer needs to be Canadian, but they DO need to understand CONCACAF.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
The defending of set pieces was possibly the most baffling tactically. Anyway.

I do believe that the Canadian team needs an identity - right now no one knows what type of team we have. I don't know if the next gaffer needs to be Canadian, but they DO need to understand CONCACAF.

Concacaf knowledge/experience is critical.

My belief is if we are playing with a solo striker we have to sit very deep and allow only 2-3 players to join him on counters. We are a defensive nation not comfortable in possession, so let's not pretend we are. At least not for another couple of cycles.

I believe our best formation right now is straight up 442. You can can adapt that in-game to a 5 man midfield or a 433 as needed - make subs when needed to adapt etc. The 2 CM's can sit normally, or deeper. One can press, one can sit etc etc etc. It's our identity and what our players know and we shouldn't get away from that (given that I am guilty as a youth coach messing around with 433 lol). If Atletico can be as good as they are 442 why can't Canada be competitive in this region with that formation? But regardless of positioning, those are not tactics. Our tactical set-up has to build to our strengths - this is, like it or not, unity, passion, defending. It is not extended periods of tiki-taka no matter how much we all want it to be. As our youth national teams and pro club academies get more and more concacaf experience this will start to change. But it's not yet. Our recent male u20, u17, and u15 performances have been encouraging in this regard. Whitecaps u18's and u16's seem to be developing a nice pattern of this (though Whitecaps u18's were certainly second best in possession for the majority of the u18 final vs. Dallas this spring), and it appears TFC is doing the same at the youth level. We're not there yet. We can't "ball" with Honduras etc just yet. But we can outwork, out-unify them if we play to our current strengths.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
Concacaf knowledge/experience is critical.

My belief is if we are playing with a solo striker we have to sit very deep and allow only 2-3 players to join him on counters. We are a defensive nation not comfortable in possession, so let's not pretend we are. At least not for another couple of cycles.

I believe our best formation right now is straight up 442. You can can adapt that in-game to a 5 man midfield or a 433 as needed - make subs when needed to adapt etc. The 2 CM's can sit normally, or deeper. One can press, one can sit etc etc etc. It's our identity and what our players know and we shouldn't get away from that (given that I am guilty as a youth coach messing around with 433 lol). If Atletico can be as good as they are 442 why can't Canada be competitive in this region with that formation? But regardless of positioning, those are not tactics. Our tactical set-up has to build to our strengths - this is, like it or not, unity, passion, defending. It is not extended periods of tiki-taka no matter how much we all want it to be. As our youth national teams and pro club academies get more and more concacaf experience this will start to change. But it's not yet. Our recent male u20, u17, and u15 performances have been encouraging in this regard. Whitecaps u18's and u16's seem to be developing a nice pattern of this (though Whitecaps u18's were certainly second best in possession for the majority of the u18 final vs. Dallas this spring), and it appears TFC is doing the same at the youth level. We're not there yet. We can't "ball" with Honduras etc just yet. But we can outwork, out-unify them if we play to our current strengths.

The problem I see or saw is that by defending deep our best players weren't on the ball enough, in the final game we finally played with offensive purpose, the results were positive and our best players were involved. .No disrespect to the likes of DeJOng, Edgar, Ledgerwood , Jakovic but they are not our best players...When the likes of Hutchison , Larin, Hoilet, Ricketts are on the ball it makes everyone else better and good things happen. Playing more forward might be tough against a Mexico but I'd rather watch us loose pushing forward than trying to defend all game long. I agree we are probably 10 years a way (maybe a bit less) from being able to play more possession based soccer, but i think the change starts now ..

Back