CASCADIA SOCCER LEAGE - SPRING 2017 U8 - U18

Discussion in 'Youth Leagues & Cups' started by LFC, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 2
    @E11even - congrats!

Sorely needed piece of the puzzle you are providing and here's hoping that this endevour springboards the service and professionalism for other leagues/districts associated with youth soccer in BC.

2. easoccer

easoccer Established Member

Ratings:
    +230 / 2
    I know lots of people talking about it. Cards being the most promising discussion. This has always been an issue in the ussa.

My only concern is, are there teams at the older ages? U16, Div2 to be specific.

3. hervb

hervb Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    My guess is some divisions may have greater interest than others but last year the u16 grouping was not large in the 8v8 spring league hosted by Langley. Worse case play up a division, you'll get a chance to play us if you do!

4. rich

rich Active Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 0
    We're still gauging interest with our U16's. If we do put a team in, it will be a real hodge podge of Div 1, Div 2 and Div 4 players

5. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 7
    Which is likely going to be the case throughout in year 1 - probably some div 4 level teams, and some div 1/MSL level teams. But if the league can standardize, and hopefully offer two tiers in the coming year or two ahead....could be a very good spring option for all lower mainland clubs!

6. easoccer

Ratings:
    +230 / 2
    To be honest i had my son in coastal 8v8 last year and it ended up garbage. More like plain kick around.

I think bringing in all the random leagues into one should allow more team selection.

I am looking for something that replaces the USSA for us as it has never been fair with ringers etc, but if we are playing mixed div 1-4 teams then im not sure how it will be any different. Other than playing the same 3 teams like the USSA.

7. E11even

E11even Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Good discussion and points.

We're not crazy enough to think that year 1 will be perfect. The idea is to create an organized and dependable structure that clubs can use as a game platform for their teams. We know that clubs develop players and the league is simply there to provide a structure to play. There are a number of things that need to occur in order for a division, within the league to be successful. In order of process, to us in the simplest form, it looks like this:
    • Clubs generate interest from players and assemble teams
    • Clubs register teams with the league
    • We try (in consultation with clubs) to best group teams together based on competitiveness and geography
    • We communicate, organize and manage the league professionally
    • We (clubs and league) get feedback, look for areas to improve, and evolve
    • Repeat
    Sort of simple, but really that's all there is to this LOL.

As for the reference to the Coastal 8v8, that is a completely different product. It is an in house, recreational league, for those players who want play a game once per week and have a casual training session. It's not designed around anything more than being an organized and fun opportunity for kids to play each week. There are a mix of different levels placed on balance teams. It seems to work for the 2500 or so players who participate each year ;-)

Cascadia is a bit different. It services those clubs and teams who don't have an in house infrastructure and/or those who want a more conventionally structured league. It also, at the higher levels, pulls together teams who require inter club play to get the appropriate levels of competition.

Given our knowledge of Coastal and Cascadia (we run them both LOL) one is not better than the other. They service different teams and players. In fact I will say that the Coastal program, which was established long before I arrived on the scene (so I can't take all the credit), has taught me a lot about simplifying the expectations and structure for kids and just letting them play for the sake of playing. Again, it's not for everyone, but if you stop for a minute and watch the games, you just see kids having fun, being active, and enjoying kicking a ball around with their friends. It is after all a game for the enjoyment of the players.

8. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 7
    Well said. Really interested in how this league unfolds.

9. easoccer

Ratings:
    +230 / 2
    Since you run the coastal program.

- last year there were 2 groups at u15/16. But rather than playing all the teams we played the same teams 2x. This made no sense at all.

- on the teams there were obvious mixes of metro down to house.

- the teams were not balanced at all so you had a team that would get blown out each week.

- the metro players would play most of the time scoring multiple goals with minimal touches for the house players.

- there were teams that had 15-16 players and teams that always had to borrow.

- yes it was ok for fitness sake, but lacked structure and proper training.

Putting my boys team into an 11v11 league with properly formed teams is much more desirable.

• Agree For Most Part Agree For Most Part x 1
    • List
  10. E11even

E11even Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Pleased to report Cascadia Soccer League is NOW SANCTIONED by BC Soccer!

Quick facts:
    • 10 districts signed on (all in lower mainland)
    • 27 clubs registered and counting
    • We expect 8,000,000,000 teams plus or minus a few ;-)
    Lots of work to do in the next 6 weeks. Year 1 is about getting a foot print for organized spring soccer that can be built on year over year.

11. Admin

Admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 2
    Someone has been celebrating... :)

12. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 7
    Congrats. Looking forward to a stabilizing spring season!

13. easoccer

Ratings:
    +230 / 2

Do you have any rough numbers for the different age groups yet? Or do you expect the numbers to slowly rise until the mid march deadline?

14. ToonArmy

ToonArmy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats Cascadia!

15. E11even

E11even Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    It's still too early to tell. I think spring registrations are slow with most/all clubs at the moment due to the weather and dissatisfaction from the fall season. I know clubs are working hard to try and pull their teams together and get registered. I think it will be steady now.

Keep in mind our process does not require payment until the groups are formed to ensure that it makes sense (i.e. enough teams and reasonable travel). We are asking teams to register now, let's us create the groups, and then we can collectively review.

16. LFC

LFC Active Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 1
    Congratulations E11even management & Cascadia leage