What if my Kid doesn't like Soccer?

newsoccerdad

Jul 2, 2019
Hi guys

New dad here with a 4yo child who said she wants to play soccer. We have played in the backyard a few times and she has a short attention span. I looked at registering her into a club or school but all the sessions are 7-8 long. I feel that is a long commitment for something she might just hate.

Is there anything that is short? Looking for this summer or fall 2019

southsloper

Aug 25, 2015
@newsoccerdad, it's great your daughter declared a desire to play at 4 YO! :) Was that 7-8 in MONTHS--that's what soccer seasons are in the lower mainland, from September to March.

You can Google to find many summer camps in Surrey & surrounding lower mainland. I'd recommend one to you but my girls have only done a few camps, years ago, here in Burnaby.

The key -- and you'll see this mentioned everywhere -- is that the kids have fun! If they have fun, they'll want to keep playing and returning to the sport. Playing more may evolve to a desire to develop their skills & improve, which leads to more fun, and so on. Also -- encourage your daughter to participate in multiple sports--don't specialize too early. You'll find many elite athletes have played several sports, some at elite levels in more than one. Cross training, etc. A bit beyond a 4-year old's needs but something for the future :)

Out of curiousity, how did your daughter get interested in soccer? How was she was exposed to the sport? You watching games with her, or maybe the 2019 Women's World Cup?

bigwreck

May 3, 2018
At that age, would not worry much about the attention span. Some like to socialize, some like to watch, some like to play. Most do it all. Even if it's a longer commitment, it's fairly cheap and if kid decides she doesnt want to go to a session, dont force it. If she wants to quit, not a big deal either.

newsoccerdad

Jul 2, 2019
Thank you for sharing all that information. I am a basketball guy. I think she saw a few highlights or commercials for soccer and just blurted it out. "Dad I want to play soccer". She might be the most competitive 4yo ever....part of me thinks soccer will be fine for the fall season and she will be able to last 7-8 months. Surrey United is located close to us and seems reasonable.

She will hopefully be crossed trained with basketball :)

@Admin
I looked into the summer camps, but unfortunately she isn't in town for the summer. I will have to commit to the full season and if she bails, I will just accept it. The idea will be to make it fun and engaging.

Back