TD Series: Ciaran McMahon

Editor

Staff member
Jun 23, 2015
Editor submitted a new Article:

TD Series: Ciaran McMahon

Ciaran, thank you so much for taking the time to allow us to conduct this interview – to start, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am the current technical director for the Kamloops Youth Soccer Association. We provide soccer programs to over 3900 players over 12 months. I started in this role in March of 2014. I started out as a mechanical engineer (my first degree) but soon went back to university for a B.Ed in Elementary education. After finishing my B.Ed I decided to focus full time on coaching (at a time when it wasn’t really recognized as a profession). I then expanded my education further by pursuing an M. Ed in Coaching Studies and am also completing my CSA A License.

Can you expand a bit on your playing and coaching background?

I grew up in White Rock playing for Peace Arch Soccer Club, where most of my memories of my youth soccer experiences were solidified. After high school I moved onto senior men’s soccer in both the VMSL and FVSL. I have always been a recreational player; I wanted more but missed out on most of the technical and psychological guidance that many youngsters need to develop their game further.

I have been coaching soccer for over 20 years. It all started with a grade 8 to 10 team at my high school that a friend started when we were in grade 11. I followed that up with various other youth teams at my local club where my mother was the registrar (I think my mother connection to the club was a key factor in my deeper involvement with coaching).

I continued to volunteer my time to coach during university and grew my resume team by team by coaching boys and girls, mini’s youth and adults, recreational, competitive, provincial and collegiate teams.

I enjoy coaching both kids and adults and working with parents to help guide and educate them on the options and pathways available to help improve their child’s love for the game.

How did you get into coaching – what was the defining moment that made you realise this is what you wanted to do?

I have always been a helper, facilitator, educator so coaching comes naturally to me. I can remember the first moment a kid did something new in a game that I had helped them achieve. I was young (17 or 18) and had been coaching for a couple of season but had only really accumulated about 50 or 60 hours of practice and game experience and only had the most...

Read more about this article here...

Mike Meade

Aug 24, 2015
Another great article, and it's interesting to read the differences in background, yet similarities in philosophy- especially at the grassroots / initiation levels, between Mark and Ciaran. Really looking forward to the next few articles, because there are some gems to be pulled from both!

Back