Does it make anyone kind of sad?

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I started coaching when my son was 9. He's now in u18 and coached by someone else. This is not really my point, but along they way, when I was coaching I met many opposing coaches and players. I got to know them, even became friends with some. Most hung around until u16, then in u17 and u18 they disappeared. First in u17 around 2-3 dropped away, and now in u18 double that. Even when I stopped coaching and teams moved up or down I still followed their progress along the way. I look back on the games and conversations and feel a bit sad that my sons time is almost up in youth and the people I met along the way slowly fade to black.

Anyone else feel this way?

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
Get involved in the senior men's arena and continue the journey on there.

Way less politics too (not entirely gone but waaaayyyyy less) :)

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
The number of kids that quit in the u16 and up years is very sad indeed.

RRS

Sep 26, 2016
I started coaching when my son was 9. He's now in u18 and coached by someone else. This is not really my point, but along they way, when I was coaching I met many opposing coaches and players. I got to know them, even became friends with some. Most hung around until u16, then in u17 and u18 they disappeared. First in u17 around 2-3 dropped away, and now in u18 double that. Even when I stopped coaching and teams moved up or down I still followed their progress along the way. I look back on the games and conversations and feel a bit sad that my sons time is almost up in youth and the people I met along the way slowly fade to black.

Anyone else feel this way?

Yep. THIS is a couple years old now, but pretty much expresses the same sentiment.

Back